Monday, August 6, 2007

“We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret or disappointment.”


As is turns out, Asheville is gorgeous, and the trip, by all logical reasoning was a success. I was afforded an escape from reality, a relaxing 2 days submersed in what can only be described as a blissful fantasy. The landscapes were breath-taking, the downtown area was adorable, the coffee shops were great, and the questions found answers.

Disappointment has a way of devouring experiences, though. While I don't know that there is anything on earth as beautiful as the glowing sun perched high in mountain mist as he and the moon negotiate territory, I am certain that I will never remember that moment with the same purity in which it occurred. It's just the way that life goes. We are mere stones thrust along the rapids to be broken and polished until we are sand.

Eventually I will learn to love with reserve. I will understand the value of guarding oneself. I will hush the voice of romantic ideals and I will train my heart not to break. Today, contrary to a previous post, life's plot isn't funny. And although I try to keep a sense of humor about the obstacles that never fail to find their way into life, sometimes the tears win out.

No comments: