Saturday, August 22, 2009

peas, please

Twice in one day! I know, I know...I just got so excited about my first foray into slow-cooker purple hull peas that I couldn't wait to share the recipe even though I don't know how they will end up tasting. I'm going on their premature aroma--delish. And they are vegan friendly because I don't believe in cooking with ham hocks no matter how Southern it may be.

Slow-Cooker Purple Hull Peas (and Okra)











Fresh peas, hulls removed...a pound or two
one onion chopped
2 cloves of garic, crushed a little but mostly whole
2 sprigs fresh tarragon
a couple of handfuls of fresh okra, ends removed, then cut in half length-wise
salt (a little less than a tsp.) and pepper (about 1/2 tsp) to taste
2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1-2 Tbsp olive oil

Throw veggies, legumes and spices in the crockpot then cover with water (about 4 cups). Overtop, drizzle olive oil and stir everything together. Plan to remove bay leaves, tarragon sprigs, and cloves of garlic.

I can't say much for time because I just covered my pot and walked away, but the farmers market guy said about 3 hours and my mom suggested setting the crock on "high" because, "you can always turn it down later."

No comments: